About the Library
The Emmie Seele Faust Library served New Braunfels from 1938 to 1967. This one-room building on historic Sophienburg Hill was the library home to thousands of New Braunfels children and adults alike during that time. The Emmie Seele Faust Library is part of the memories of New Braunfels citizens who remember the summer reading programs and their "gold" certificates.
Emmie Seele Faust was the daughter of Hermann Seele, one of New Braunfels' first settlers and first school teacher. As a child growing up in New Braunfels, Emmie attended the first public school in Texas and later married merchant and banker John Faust.
Mrs. Faust was generous to the city in which she lived for ninety years and ultimately donated the $7,439.37 for the construction of the library on the corner of Coll and Magazine streets.
In 1967, the new Dittlinger Memorial Library was constructed to accommodate the growing community.
The Emmie Seele Faust Memorial Library closed her doors and became the archival storage for the Sophienburg Memorial Association, providing an invaluable asset by housing the Sophienburg Museum and Archives' extensive collection until its renovation in 2010. It is truly exciting to think of new generations meeting, celebrating and learning in this wonderful, historic building.
Rent the Emmie Seele Faust Memorial Library Building for Your Events