<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><rss version="2.0"
	xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/"
	xmlns:wfw="http://wellformedweb.org/CommentAPI/"
	xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
	xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
	xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
	xmlns:slash="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/slash/"
	>

<channel>
	<title>factory Archives - Sophies Shop</title>
	<atom:link href="https://sophienburg.com/tag/factory/feed/" rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" />
	<link>https://sophienburg.com/tag/factory/</link>
	<description>Explore the life of Texas&#039; German Settlers</description>
	<lastBuildDate>Sat, 02 May 2026 14:35:11 +0000</lastBuildDate>
	<language>en-US</language>
	<sy:updatePeriod>
	hourly	</sy:updatePeriod>
	<sy:updateFrequency>
	1	</sy:updateFrequency>
	<generator>https://wordpress.org/?v=6.8.2</generator>

<image>
	<url>https://sophienburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/08/cropped-Sophienburg-SMA-Icon-32x32.png</url>
	<title>factory Archives - Sophies Shop</title>
	<link>https://sophienburg.com/tag/factory/</link>
	<width>32</width>
	<height>32</height>
</image> 
<site xmlns="com-wordpress:feed-additions:1">181077085</site>	<item>
		<title>New Braunfels history for a rainy day</title>
		<link>https://sophienburg.com/new-braunfels-history-for-a-rainy-day/</link>
					<comments>https://sophienburg.com/new-braunfels-history-for-a-rainy-day/#respond</comments>
		
		<dc:creator><![CDATA[Alan King]]></dc:creator>
		<pubDate>Sun, 03 May 2026 05:00:34 +0000</pubDate>
				<category><![CDATA[Around the Sophienburg]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1848]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1861]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1865]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1869]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1872]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1932]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1945]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1950s]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1955]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1957]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1972]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1976]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1982]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[agriculture]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Camp Warnecke]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Caroline Stange]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Civic Center]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Creek]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal River]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Springs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[cotton spinning]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[crops]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[drought]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[electricity]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[entrepreneurs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[factory]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[farmers]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[flood]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[gristmill]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Guadalupe River]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Herb Skoog]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Hood County (Texas)]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[iron bridge]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[John Torrey]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Landa Park]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[livestock]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[looms]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[McQueeney (Texas)]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Mrs. Trappe]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[oral history]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[radio]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[rain]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[ranchers]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Reflections (oral history)]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[rescues]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[sawmill]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[telegraph wires]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Torrey mills]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Tube Chute]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[weather]]></category>
		<guid isPermaLink="false">https://sophienburg.com/?p=12143</guid>

					<description><![CDATA[<p>By Simon V. Simek — Considering the rainy days we had last week after such a long dry spell, we thought it relevant to help tell the history of New Braunfels’ eternally erratic weather, and our long-standing feud with rushing water. Diving into the archives, we found some tremendous accounts of how our predecessors fared [&#8230;]</p>
<p>The post <a href="https://sophienburg.com/new-braunfels-history-for-a-rainy-day/">New Braunfels history for a rainy day</a> appeared first on <a href="https://sophienburg.com">Sophies Shop</a>.</p>
]]></description>
										<content:encoded><![CDATA[<figure id="attachment_12250" aria-describedby="caption-attachment-12250" style="width: 800px" class="wp-caption aligncenter"><a href="https://sophienburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/ats20260503_s327017-3.jpg"><img fetchpriority="high" decoding="async" class="wp-image-12250 size-large" src="https://sophienburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/ats20260503_s327017-3-1024x725.jpg" alt="Train bridge across the Guadalupe River after July 3, 1932, flood." width="800" height="566" srcset="https://sophienburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/ats20260503_s327017-3-1024x725.jpg 1024w, https://sophienburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/ats20260503_s327017-3-600x425.jpg 600w, https://sophienburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/ats20260503_s327017-3-300x213.jpg 300w, https://sophienburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/ats20260503_s327017-3-768x544.jpg 768w, https://sophienburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/ats20260503_s327017-3.jpg 1200w" sizes="(max-width: 800px) 100vw, 800px" /></a><figcaption id="caption-attachment-12250" class="wp-caption-text">Train bridge across the Guadalupe River after July 3, 1932, flood.</figcaption></figure>
<p>By Simon V. Simek —</p>
<p>Considering the rainy days we had last week after such a long dry spell, we thought it relevant to help tell the history of New Braunfels’ eternally erratic weather, and our long-standing feud with rushing water. Diving into the archives, we found some tremendous accounts of how our predecessors fared in their own times against the elements.</p>
<p>The drought of the 1950s is one of the worst, if not the worst, recorded in New Braunfels history. New Braunfels was still largely agricultural, and without modern water solutions, local farmers and ranchers struggled to yield crops and raise livestock. Caroline Stange sat down in 1982 as part of our ongoing Reflections program, a local ongoing oral history effort from the Sophienburg since 1976, to tell her story and detail her experience of the ‘50s drought and the flood of 1972.</p>
<p>Mrs. Stange moved here a little later in life, when she finally agreed to follow her soldier son who was stationed nearby in 1955. At first, she found New Braunfels to be exceptionally clean and friendly, but also incredibly dry and hot, even in January. She had come from California, where the flowers bloomed and the weather was fair, and Texas seemed like an arid land devoid of her beloved flowers. Day after day it was dry, and her ranching neighbors had taken jobs in town to make ends meet. She regretted her move and prayed that it would rain for just five minutes. Even Landa Park and Comal Springs dried up. Finally, in 1957, the rains came, in the form of a flood, but nonetheless Mrs. Stange was thrilled to see flowers and green.</p>
<p>1957 was not the only flood that Mrs. Stange experienced in her adopted home. She remembered vividly the 1972 flood that happened just a decade prior to the recording. It began with a 2:00 AM call from her neighbor, who fought the loud drops on her tin roof for attention. The neighbor had heard the police come by and order residents to evacuate their homes, a warning Mrs. Stange didn’t hear. They wondered where to go, maybe to her son’s home in McQueeney, but they believed it too far. This was for the best, as that day his home would get 18 inches of water inside of it. They tuned in to the radio to hear Herb Skoog notify them that shelter was available at the civic center. The electricity had gone out in the neighborhood, but they were able to navigate their way to the lights at the civic center. While there, they saw the damage that the flood had already caused, like the mother who had her baby swept from her arms and the elderly woman wrapped in blankets who had just stood on her kitchen sink in neck-high waters to be rescued through the kitchen window. They stayed the night and returned home the next day to find Camp Warnecke’s tea towels littered about in the trees. News would stream in the next few days of others who were lost, some of them friends and neighbors. Mrs. Stange’s home was undamaged, but the flood had already wrecked its havoc on her life.</p>
<p>Caroline Stange and her story help visualize the seeming cycle of floods and droughts that our piece of Texas endures constantly. The Torrey mills experienced a form of this cycle as well in the previous century, although the determination to defy nature is a little more surprising.</p>
<p>For whatever reason, fire, air, and finally water all plotted against the earth and stone of John Torrey’s riverside plot at the juncture of Comal Creek and Comal River. Today, this is the tube chute, but it was the Torrey family who built the first dam for power. John Torrey and his brothers hailed from up North but came to Texas as entrepreneurs who sold merchandise to incoming Texas settlers. Following their success, John Torrey acquired the doomed plot of nearly two acres in 1848. He built a gristmill (grain) and sawmill, and later added a factory that made goods for the home like doors and blinds. On November 14, 1861, the first disaster struck and the entire complex burned down.</p>
<p>He quickly replaced these losses with a four-story stone building. Soon after, machines for cotton spinning and looms were added to the top floor. This became the first cotton factory in Texas, and it began production in 1865. In 1869, a warning came, and a flood damaged the building and some machinery, but production could continue. Just two months later, a tornado ripped through town, and the Torrey mill’s top floor was destroyed along with all the machinery.</p>
<p>Rebuilding was underway for three years, and in 1872, just weeks before operations could resume, the mill was struck for the last time. The summer torrent came, as it so often does, and Mrs. Trappe recalled the incident in 1945: She was only sixteen, and it had rained over 12 inches the night before, washing away the newly built iron bridge over the Comal. She watched as John Torrey and four others tried to move some of the machinery and materials from the first floor to the second. But the dam had gone, and the water pushed the building off its foundation. As it was readying for its collapse, the five men made it to the roof and looked for any escape. The only option was to grab on the telegraph wires which crossed the river. All five successfully took hold, and were able to swing towards land, jump, and ultimately save themselves. It is said that Mr. Torrey bore his losses without a murmur of despondency, but soon after he left New Braunfels for good and started again in Hood County.</p>
<p>New Braunfels and her residents have long been afflicted by volatile weather and overflowing riverways. That is not going to change. It is up to us, current residents of Comal County, to find the solutions, whatever those may be, to ensure our homes are here to stay for future generations.</p>
<hr />
<p>Sources: New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung, John F. Torrey and Brothers by Susan Morrison, Around the Sophienburg by Myra Lee Adams Goff, Reflections 287 (Caroline Stange).</p>
<hr />
<p style="margin-left: 20px; margin-right: 20px; padding: 5px; background-color: #efefef; border-radius: 6px; text-align: center;">&#8220;Around the Sophienburg&#8221; is published every other weekend in the <a href="https://herald-zeitung.com" target="_blank" rel="noopener"><em><span style="white-space: nowrap;">New Braunfels</span> Herald-Zeitung</em></a>.</p>
<p>The post <a href="https://sophienburg.com/new-braunfels-history-for-a-rainy-day/">New Braunfels history for a rainy day</a> appeared first on <a href="https://sophienburg.com">Sophies Shop</a>.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
					
					<wfw:commentRss>https://sophienburg.com/new-braunfels-history-for-a-rainy-day/feed/</wfw:commentRss>
			<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
		
		
		<post-id xmlns="com-wordpress:feed-additions:1">12143</post-id>	</item>
		<item>
		<title>City-owned water works to provide affordable, clean water</title>
		<link>https://sophienburg.com/city-owned-water-works-to-provide-affordable-clean-water-2/</link>
		
		<dc:creator><![CDATA[director]]></dc:creator>
		<pubDate>Sun, 01 May 2016 05:00:42 +0000</pubDate>
				<category><![CDATA[Around the Sophienburg]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Sophienblog]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA["water alley"]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1856]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1857]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1861]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1880]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1885]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1888]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1906]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1907]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1912]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1930s]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1934]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1936]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1942]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1944]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1959]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1960s]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Adelsverein]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[aldermen]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Andreas Eikel]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Balcones Escarpment]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[cattle pens]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Christian Krause]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[city council]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[City of New Braunfels]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Civil War]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Creek]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Head Springs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal River]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Springs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Springs Conservation Center]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comaltown]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[concrete pools]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[crop failures]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[cypress wood]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Dr. William Remer]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[drinking water]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[drought]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[ecology]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[electric company]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Emilie Karbach Klingemann]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[employment]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[factory]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Federal Emergency Relief Act]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Ferdinand Dietz]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[fish rearing pond]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[food prices]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Fritz Klingemann]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Great Depression]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[groundwater contamination]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Gustav Gerlich]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Hermann Seele]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[insurance rates]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Jacob Langkopf]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Jacob Rose]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Julius Eggeling]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Julius Rennert]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Julius Runge]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Klingemann homestead]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Klingemann Springs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Las Fontanas (The Fountains)]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Leon Blum]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Lindheimer home]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Mayor C. A. Jahn]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Mayor Giesecke]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[New Braunfels]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[New Braunfels Area Community Foundation]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[New Braunfels Utilities]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[New Braunfels Woolen Manufacturing Co.]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Oscar Haas]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[pipes]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[private properties]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[pump]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[railroad]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[reservoir]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[rock walls]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Roger Biggers]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[San Antonio Street]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[San Marcos Water Works Company]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Seguin Avenue]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[settlement]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[settlers]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[sewer system]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[springs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[steam engine]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[survival]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Texas Rehabilitation and Relief Commission]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[textile industry]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Torrey Manufacturing and Power Co.]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[underbrush]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[volunteer fire-fighting]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[water]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[water system]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[water works]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[water works committee]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[wells]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[William Clemens]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[William Ludwig]]></category>
		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://sophienburg.wpenginepowered.com/blog/?p=2663</guid>

					<description><![CDATA[<p>By Myra Lee Adams Goff The Comal Springs Conservation Center will begin its five phase project this summer. The 16-acre site was once Klingemann Springs and was the first water work property owned by the City of New Braunfels. One of the necessities of human survival is availability of water and this need played an [&#8230;]</p>
<p>The post <a href="https://sophienburg.com/city-owned-water-works-to-provide-affordable-clean-water-2/">City-owned water works to provide affordable, clean water</a> appeared first on <a href="https://sophienburg.com">Sophies Shop</a>.</p>
]]></description>
										<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>By Myra Lee Adams Goff</p>
<p>The Comal Springs Conservation Center will begin its five phase project this summer. The 16-acre site was once Klingemann Springs and was the first water work property owned by the City of New Braunfels.</p>
<p>One of the necessities of human survival is availability of water and this need played an essential part in the choosing of the site of New Braunfels for a settlement. Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels, commissioner general for the Adelsverein project, became aware that Las Fontanas or The Fountains (Comal Springs) were the biggest of the principal springs along the Balcones Escarpment. These springs had a daily flow of 196 million gallons.</p>
<p>Early settlers carried buckets of water from the springs of Comal Creek and the Comal River for their use. Hermann Seele tells of drawing water out of the river at the foot of San Antonio St. Another source of fresh water from a large spring was at the end of a path leading from Seguin Ave. to the Comal River. The path called “water alley” was located next to the Lindheimer home. The alley was included in the original plans set out for the city. This was one of the springs used primarily until the settlers dug their own wells for water.</p>
<p>With Julius Rennert as mayor of New Braunfels in 1857, the city council first began to investigate the possibility of acquiring a city-owned water works. Aldermen at the time were Julius Eggeling, Jacob Rose, Andreas Eikel, Dr. Wm. Remer, Ferdinand Dietz, Wm. Ludwig, Jacob Langkopf, and Christian Krause. By the way, Jacob Rose was my great-grandfather. A committee was appointed including six citizens to begin the investigation.</p>
<p>When the city council convened on Oct. 18, 1857, a preliminary report was given, but action was tabled. Oscar Haas speculated that this tabling was possibly due to a severe drought which had occurred in 1856 causing crop failures and high prices for food supplies.</p>
<p>Nothing was done about the water issue and in 1861 the Civil War began. Everything came to a standstill during the war, as the emphasis was on war issues. After the war more time could be spent on other problems. In 1880 with the advent of the railroad, people began moving back into town. Some who had moved away during the war, returned. An enterprising spirit entered the picture.</p>
<p>In 1885, the San Marcos Water Works Company made a proposition to the city council to construct a water works and this proposal spurred a renewed interest in looking into a city-owned water works. With Hermann Seele as chairman, the water works committee recommended that a pump be placed on the bank of the Comal River at the site of the New Braunfels Woolen Manufacturing Co. “This pump would be set going by the steam engine of the factory.” The water would be pumped out of the Comal River into a reservoir with a capacity of 700,000 gallons of water. The Woolen Manuf. Co. requested that for every 20,000 of water, the price paid be $1.50. Seven councilmen accepted this proposition and two voted against it. This vote was not acted on and eventually repealed.</p>
<p>Shortly thereafter the owners of the Torrey Manufacturing and Power Co. owned by William Clemens, Julius Runge and Leon Blum offered a new proposal to build the city water works. This proposal was accepted and a contract signed for 25 years. Mayor Giesecke accepted the proposal in the name of the city of New Braunfels.</p>
<p>The city then entered into contract with Gustav Gerlich to supervise the pumping of water and to lay pipes onto private properties. His contract was for six months and he was to be responsible for any faulty work after the construction was finished. A report of the council meeting states that the water works had been in operation with 51 consumer connections since August of 1888.</p>
<p>I asked Roger Biggers with NBU what the pipes were made out of at the very beginning. He said they were most likely made from cypress wood and he had seen one of the old wooden pipes while excavating downtown.</p>
<p>Volunteer fire-fighting companies began organizing due to the availability of water. They practiced regularly and insurance rates were reduced.</p>
<p>At a meeting of the city council on Nov. 5, 1906, based on an inspection of the Comal Head Springs on the Klingemann property, mayor C. A. Jahn told the council that filth had washed into the springs from nearby cattle feed pens and clogged up the springs. However, upon cleaning the area, the springs on the Klingemann place would furnish more water and be the best drinking water. He recommended that the city buy the springs and adjacent property. A committee was appointed to study the feasibility and reported that they did not recommend purchasing it.</p>
<p>Thus, the council decided to bring the issue to a city vote. On Dec. 18,1906, 116 voted to purchase the property and 112 against.</p>
<p>On Feb. 1<sup>st</sup>, 1907, Fritz Klingemann for $2,500 conveyed to the city of NB, a portion of the Klingemann homestead at the headwaters of the Comal River in Comaltown at the corner of what is now Klingemann and Lakeview.</p>
<p>By 1912 the springs were in full operation and two years later the Herald reported that the new water works system provided the purest water right from the springs and brought it into everybody’s kitchen. The spring water does much to eliminate disease.</p>
<p>In the early 1930s at the onset of the Great Depression, the textile industry was in decline. To provide employment, the city sought to clear out the underbrush and place a wall around the springs to control flow and prevent groundwater contamination. The city obtained assistance through to the Texas Rehabilitation and Relief Commission established under the Federal Emergency Relief Act.</p>
<p>In 1934 two concrete pools were also constructed on the property as part of a fish rearing pond lease. The ponds are gone but some of the 1930s structures are still present on the property as well as rock walls lining the original spring flow area.</p>
<p>By the end of 1936, the spring had also been capped and two drilled wells were in operation on the property. A third well was drilled in December, 1944.</p>
<p>The New Braunfels Utilities began in 1942 as an electric company. In 1959, the company took over the sewer and water systems and in 1960s NBU moved their operations to the water works site.</p>
<p>Although our water supply is no longer taken directly from the headwater springs, some of our water is still taken from the wells on the property. The New Braunfels Utilities still maintains the property and they have a great project to preserve the property and springs.</p>
<p><a name="_GoBack"></a>The Comal Springs Conservation Center project is being sponsored by the NBU aided by the New Braunfels Area Community Foundation. The five-phase project will take approximately five years to complete. From the project brochure: “In keeping with a longstanding commitment to the environment and to the community NBU plans to restore and develop this site into a multi-use facility which enhances the community’s relationship with nature. The development will be a teaching tool which honors the cultural and environmental history of the site and area while encouraging future stewardship of the environment, water and community.” This will include the restoration of the Comal Springs headwaters and transform the 16+ acres of asphalt into native landscape. There will be public facilities and use of historic structures to reconnect the community to its natural water and ecology.</p>
<p>New Braunfels and Comal County are very conservation conscious and this is another example of conservation and restoration.</p>
<figure id="attachment_2659" aria-describedby="caption-attachment-2659" style="width: 540px" class="wp-caption aligncenter"><img decoding="async" class="size-full wp-image-2659" src="https://sophienburg.wpenginepowered.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/ats20160501_water_works.png" alt="Fritz and Emilie Karbach Klingemann" width="540" height="379" /><figcaption id="caption-attachment-2659" class="wp-caption-text">Fritz and Emilie Karbach Klingemann</figcaption></figure>
<p>The post <a href="https://sophienburg.com/city-owned-water-works-to-provide-affordable-clean-water-2/">City-owned water works to provide affordable, clean water</a> appeared first on <a href="https://sophienburg.com">Sophies Shop</a>.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
					
		
		
		<post-id xmlns="com-wordpress:feed-additions:1">3508</post-id>	</item>
		<item>
		<title>City-owned water works to provide affordable, clean water</title>
		<link>https://sophienburg.com/city-owned-water-works-to-provide-affordable-clean-water/</link>
		
		<dc:creator><![CDATA[director]]></dc:creator>
		<pubDate>Fri, 01 Apr 2016 05:00:58 +0000</pubDate>
				<category><![CDATA[Around the Sophienburg]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Sophienblog]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA["water alley"]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1856]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1857]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1861]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1880]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1885]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1888]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1906]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1907]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1912]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1930s]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1934]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1936]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1942]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1944]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1959]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[1960s]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Adelsverein]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[aldermen]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Andreas Eikel]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Balcones Escarpment]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[cattle pens]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Christian Krause]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[city council]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[City of New Braunfels]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Civil War]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Creek]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Head Springs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal River]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Springs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comal Springs Conservation Center]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Comaltown]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[concrete pools]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[crop failures]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[cypress wood]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Dr. William Remer]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[drinking water]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[drought]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[ecology]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[electric company]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Emilie Karbach Klingemann]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[employment]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[factory]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Federal Emergency Relief Act]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Ferdinand Dietz]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[fish rearing pond]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[food prices]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Fritz Klingemann]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Great Depression]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[groundwater contamination]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Gustav Gerlich]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Hermann Seele]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[insurance rates]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Jacob Langkopf]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Jacob Rose]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Julius Eggeling]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Julius Rennert]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Julius Runge]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Klingemann homestead]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Klingemann Springs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Las Fontanas (The Fountains)]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Leon Blum]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Lindheimer home]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Mayor C. A. Jahn]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Mayor Giesecke]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[New Braunfels]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[New Braunfels Area Community Foundation]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[New Braunfels Utilities]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[New Braunfels Woolen Manufacturing Co.]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Oscar Haas]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[pipes]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[private properties]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[pump]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[railroad]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[reservoir]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[rock walls]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Roger Biggers]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[San Antonio Street]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[San Marcos Water Works Company]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Seguin Avenue]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[settlement]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[settlers]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[sewer system]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[springs]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[steam engine]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[survival]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Texas Rehabilitation and Relief Commission]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[textile industry]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[Torrey Manufacturing and Power Co.]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[underbrush]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[volunteer fire-fighting]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[water]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[water system]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[water works]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[water works committee]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[wells]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[William Clemens]]></category>
		<category><![CDATA[William Ludwig]]></category>
		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://sophienburg.wpenginepowered.com/blog/?p=2658</guid>

					<description><![CDATA[<p>By Myra Lee Adams Goff The Comal Springs Conservation Center will begin its five phase project this summer. The 16-acre site was once Klingemann Springs and was the first water work property owned by the City of New Braunfels. One of the necessities of human survival is availability of water and this need played an [&#8230;]</p>
<p>The post <a href="https://sophienburg.com/city-owned-water-works-to-provide-affordable-clean-water/">City-owned water works to provide affordable, clean water</a> appeared first on <a href="https://sophienburg.com">Sophies Shop</a>.</p>
]]></description>
										<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>By Myra Lee Adams Goff</p>
<p>The Comal Springs Conservation Center will begin its five phase project this summer. The 16-acre site was once Klingemann Springs and was the first water work property owned by the City of New Braunfels.</p>
<p>One of the necessities of human survival is availability of water and this need played an essential part in the choosing of the site of New Braunfels for a settlement. Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels, commissioner general for the Adelsverein project, became aware that Las Fontanas or The Fountains (Comal Springs) were the biggest of the principal springs along the Balcones Escarpment. These springs had a daily flow of 196 million gallons.</p>
<p>Early settlers carried buckets of water from the springs of Comal Creek and the Comal River for their use. Hermann Seele tells of drawing water out of the river at the foot of San Antonio St. Another source of fresh water from a large spring was at the end of a path leading from Seguin Ave. to the Comal River. The path called “water alley” was located next to the Lindheimer home. The alley was included in the original plans set out for the city. This was one of the springs used primarily until the settlers dug their own wells for water.</p>
<p>With Julius Rennert as mayor of New Braunfels in 1857, the city council first began to investigate the possibility of acquiring a city-owned water works. Aldermen at the time were Julius Eggeling, Jacob Rose, Andreas Eikel, Dr. Wm. Remer, Ferdinand Dietz, Wm. Ludwig, Jacob Langkopf, and Christian Krause. By the way, Jacob Rose was my great-grandfather. A committee was appointed including six citizens to begin the investigation.</p>
<p>When the city council convened on Oct. 18, 1857, a preliminary report was given, but action was tabled. Oscar Haas speculated that this tabling was possibly due to a severe drought which had occurred in 1856 causing crop failures and high prices for food supplies.</p>
<p>Nothing was done about the water issue and in 1861 the Civil War began. Everything came to a standstill during the war, as the emphasis was on war issues. After the war more time could be spent on other problems. In 1880 with the advent of the railroad, people began moving back into town. Some who had moved away during the war, returned. An enterprising spirit entered the picture.</p>
<p>In 1885, the San Marcos Water Works Company made a proposition to the city council to construct a water works and this proposal spurred a renewed interest in looking into a city-owned water works. With Hermann Seele as chairman, the water works committee recommended that a pump be placed on the bank of the Comal River at the site of the New Braunfels Woolen Manufacturing Co. “This pump would be set going by the steam engine of the factory.” The water would be pumped out of the Comal River into a reservoir with a capacity of 700,000 gallons of water. The Woolen Manuf. Co. requested that for every 20,000 of water, the price paid be $1.50. Seven councilmen accepted this proposition and two voted against it. This vote was not acted on and eventually repealed.</p>
<p>Shortly thereafter the owners of the Torrey Manufacturing and Power Co. owned by William Clemens, Julius Runge and Leon Blum offered a new proposal to build the city water works. This proposal was accepted and a contract signed for 25 years. Mayor Giesecke accepted the proposal in the name of the city of New Braunfels.</p>
<p>The city then entered into contract with Gustav Gerlich to supervise the pumping of water and to lay pipes onto private properties. His contract was for six months and he was to be responsible for any faulty work after the construction was finished. A report of the council meeting states that the water works had been in operation with 51 consumer connections since August of 1888.</p>
<p>I asked Roger Biggers with NBU what the pipes were made out of at the very beginning. He said they were most likely made from cypress wood and he had seen one of the old wooden pipes while excavating downtown.</p>
<p>Volunteer fire-fighting companies began organizing due to the availability of water. They practiced regularly and insurance rates were reduced.</p>
<p>At a meeting of the city council on Nov. 5, 1906, based on an inspection of the Comal Head Springs on the Klingemann property, mayor C. A. Jahn told the council that filth had washed into the springs from nearby cattle feed pens and clogged up the springs. However, upon cleaning the area, the springs on the Klingemann place would furnish more water and be the best drinking water. He recommended that the city buy the springs and adjacent property. A committee was appointed to study the feasibility and reported that they did not recommend purchasing it.</p>
<p>Thus, the council decided to bring the issue to a city vote. On Dec. 18,1906, 116 voted to purchase the property and 112 against.</p>
<p>On Feb. 1<sup>st</sup>, 1907, Fritz Klingemann for $2,500 conveyed to the city of NB, a portion of the Klingemann homestead at the headwaters of the Comal River in Comaltown at the corner of what is now Klingemann and Lakeview.</p>
<p>By 1912 the springs were in full operation and two years later the Herald reported that the new water works system provided the purest water right from the springs and brought it into everybody’s kitchen. The spring water does much to eliminate disease.</p>
<p>In the early 1930s at the onset of the Great Depression, the textile industry was in decline. To provide employment, the city sought to clear out the underbrush and place a wall around the springs to control flow and prevent groundwater contamination. The city obtained assistance through to the Texas Rehabilitation and Relief Commission established under the Federal Emergency Relief Act.</p>
<p>In 1934 two concrete pools were also constructed on the property as part of a fish rearing pond lease. The ponds are gone but some of the 1930s structures are still present on the property as well as rock walls lining the original spring flow area.</p>
<p>By the end of 1936, the spring had also been capped and two drilled wells were in operation on the property. A third well was drilled in December, 1944.</p>
<p>The New Braunfels Utilities began in 1942 as an electric company. In 1959, the company took over the sewer and water systems and in 1960s NBU moved their operations to the water works site.</p>
<p>Although our water supply is no longer taken directly from the headwater springs, some of our water is still taken from the wells on the property. The New Braunfels Utilities still maintains the property and they have a great project to preserve the property and springs.</p>
<p>The Comal Springs Conservation Center project is being sponsored by the NBU aided by the New Braunfels Area Community Foundation. The five-phase project will take approximately five years to complete. From the project brochure: “In keeping with a longstanding commitment to the environment and to the community NBU plans to restore and develop this site into a multi-use facility which enhances the community’s relationship with nature. The development will be a teaching tool which honors the cultural and environmental history of the site and area while encouraging future stewardship of the environment, water and community.” This will include the restoration of the Comal Springs headwaters and transform the 16+ acres of asphalt into native landscape. There will be public facilities and use of historic structures to reconnect the community to its natural water and ecology.</p>
<p>New Braunfels and Comal County are very conservation conscious and this is another example of conservation and restoration.</p>
<figure id="attachment_2659" aria-describedby="caption-attachment-2659" style="width: 540px" class="wp-caption aligncenter"><img decoding="async" class="size-full wp-image-2659" src="https://sophienburg.wpenginepowered.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/ats20160501_water_works.png" alt="Fritz and Emilie Karbach Klingemann" width="540" height="379" /><figcaption id="caption-attachment-2659" class="wp-caption-text">Fritz and Emilie Karbach Klingemann</figcaption></figure>
<p>The post <a href="https://sophienburg.com/city-owned-water-works-to-provide-affordable-clean-water/">City-owned water works to provide affordable, clean water</a> appeared first on <a href="https://sophienburg.com">Sophies Shop</a>.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
					
		
		
		<post-id xmlns="com-wordpress:feed-additions:1">3507</post-id>	</item>
	</channel>
</rss>
