March 18, 2020
1970 time capsule recording to be aired on KGNB 1420AM and 103.1FM
Are you longing for all the postponed 175th events? KGNB/KNBT has you covered. A tape recording retrieved from the 125th Anniversary Time Capsule that was opened earlier this month will air March 29 and April 4.
Mattson Rainer, General Manager of KGNB and KNBT announced today that a recording that was placed in the 1970 time capsule 50 years ago has been restored for broadcast. The 1½ hour broadcast is scheduled to air on New Braunfels Radio station KGNB, 1420AM and 103.1FM. The first broadcast will be in the normal “Reflections” broadcast time, 9 a.m Sunday, March 29. It will be rebroadcast at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 4.
Following an introduction by Mattson Rainer, KGNB/KNBT general manager, and C. Herb Skoog, who was the station manager in 1970, listeners will hear comments and predictions from the following community leaders of 1970 including program host C. Herb Skoog and the following:
- Jack Ohlrich, 1970 mayor of New Braunfels
- Dr. Dean Adams, 1970 president of the Comal County Medical Society
- Doyle Krueger, 1970 president of the Greater New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce
- Tom Purdum, Downtown Rotary Club official and 1970 Chamber Manager
- Alvin Welsch, 1970 Comal County Judge
- Norman Whisenant, 1970 superintendent of the Canyon Independent School District
- Msgnr Anthony Drozd, pastor, Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church
- O. E. Hendricks, 1970 superintendent of the New Braunfels Independent School District
- Oscar Smith, 1970 representative of the New Braunfels Noon Lions Club and New Braunfels High School principal
- Walter Zeisig, 1970 president of Wurstfest Association of New Braunfels
- The Rev. Elmer Gumper, associate pastor of First Protestant Church of New Braunfels
Copies of this historic “Reflections” broadcast will be available for sale from the archives of the Sophienburg Museum at a time to be announced later.